Saturday, February 5, 2011

The first.

This is my first post. Nothing particular to say. Just testing the keys and familiarizing myself with the format of Blog Spot. I figure this is the post where I should address the reason for blogging in the first place.

Why do a blog? Why not. It's something to do at night when I can't sleep. It's a place to vent. It's kind like talking to yourself - some might think you're crazy. Aren't we all a bit. I have no illusions: No expectations of a long list of followers and growing fan base. No ideas that this will lead to a new career.

I write to think. Writing is a great way to work out ideas. It helps me organize thoughts and come to conclusions. You might say that writing makes you a clearer thinker and helps with decisions. I could write just for myself, but what I like about 'blogging' is the pressure it puts on me to be more articulate. Knowing that someone else may be reading what you write provides a greater perspective and as an 'author' it seems to raise the bar if someone else is going to read it.

Keeping a blog also provides a means to look back and re-examine one's self. As time goes by and I distance myself from the moment when those thoughts were on my mind, I can evaluate my accuracy.

In the final analysis, I suppose I blog to become a better person. Therein is the irony. Whereas blogging is an outward expression that would seem to be a way to change others, it's really more about digging inward in order to change myself.