Tuesday, July 16, 2024

JONAH

Pablo Picasso's Peace Dove

Almost ten years ago I chose to introduce myself by my middle name Jonah instead of my first name Robert. My middle name Jonah is also my Hebrew name, so I was bar mitzvah as Jonah.  I wrote about this on my blog back back in 2016 in a post I titled "Call Me By My Other Name." 

The name Jonah is Hebrew for Dove.  I am a birdbrain at times, but I'm sure that is not what my parents had on their mind when they named me Robert Jonah after my paternal grandmother Rose and my maternal grandfather Joseph. 

I love my name Jonah. Doves have become widely recognized symbols of peace. Jonah, Dove, has various associations and biblical origins.

In the story of Noah's Ark, a dove returned to the ark with an olive branch, signaling the end of the flood and God's peace with humanity. This established the dove as a symbol of hope and peace in Judeo-Christian tradition. 

Doves have long been associated with love and peace goddesses in other ancient cultures including Mesopotamian, Greek, and Roman. In Christianity, the dove represents the Holy Spirit and is associated with peace, purity, and love.


The modern peace movement uses a dove because it is a universal symbol. Pablo Picasso's dove artwork was used for the iconic 1949 World Peace Congress poster. The release of doves at Olympic opening ceremonies (now replaced by dove-shaped balloons) further cemented their status as peace symbols.

Doves are inherently peaceful birds that coexist well with humans. They are generally associated with harmony and tranquility and represent hope, renewal, and new beginnings.

I love the meaning and associations with my Hebrew name Jonah, but I remember when I told my mother about my choice to elevate my middle name that it upset her. Mom could not understand my preference.  Sadly, my name was like many things about me - unacceptable.  Mom and I never came to peaceful understandings over politics, religion, how I dressed or even my choice to wear a yarmulke.

Picasso's Flower's of Peace

Love isn't easy. Peace isn't easy. 

Shalom Shalom 



Epilogue:

I don't want to forget about my first name, "Robert" because that name was given in honor of my Paternal Grandmother's name "Rose." She passed when my Dad was just 18 years old, so we never met. That makes me sad. 

The famous quote "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" comes from William Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet. I need to find the time to write about my other name, Rose.