Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Part 3 - Midrash on the Story of Jonah: Ninevah Is Saved and I Am Destroyed

Oh My God, they Listened.  

From the depths of the sea, as my life was ebbing away, you rescued your servant.  Cast off, feeling forsaken, You answered me.  You put the fate of Nineveh before my eyes.  "They who cling to empty folly forsake their own welfare."  My doubts drowned, but I was born with a clear purpose.  I must go to Nineveh - to declare your judgment.  Your prophet is your willing sacrifice and the messenger of your Deliverance. Nineveh, mine enemies, shall be overthrown! 

Like unto David, in my darkest moment, You LORD were my light and my salvation.  (Psalm 27 v4).  I shall not fear what awaits me in Niniveh. My adversaries and foes, "will stumble and fall."  As my reward my only wish is to "dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the graciousness of the LORD, and to visit early in [Your] temple. (Psalm 27 V4)

I go to Nineveh, knowing what awaits me.  Though "a host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear" and "though war should rise up against me, even then will I be confident."  [Psalm 27 v3]

I entered the great and fearsome city of Nineveh and sounded Your trumpet.  Lord, behold, "my head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me." (Psalm 27 v6).  I declared Your judgement. 

Having done your will, I awaited my reward - the destruction of my people's enemy.  So future generations of the people who have made their covenant with you may enter Your Temple.  The Assyrian destruction is to be Your promise fulfilled. 

You "lifteth me up upon a rock." [Psalm 27 v5] and my conviction turned the hearts of my enemies and the "King cried mightily to God for everyone turn back from their evil ways and from the injustice of which he is guilty" and they "covered with sackcloth-man and beast." [Jonah 3:8]

"Who knows but that God may turn and relent?" [Jonah 3:8]  Seeing death, man "may turn back from Your wrath, so that he does not perish.” 

But, I did not travel to Nineveh to save my enemies. I was sent to proclaim your judgement, and prepared myself to be your sacrifice.  I emerged from the sea by your will, determined to save my people, Your Covenant people, by carrying Your word and Your plan to bring punishment upon the Assyrians. 

Truly my word possessed the powers of my conviction.  For by my word, the people turned their backs on their evil ways, and begged for forgiveness.  Surely you see, their falseness. Surely they will return to their god and their warring and lustful ways.  Surely they will take the lives of Your covenant people again.

As I willing approached death in Your seas, You plucked me from the sea and breathed your will into me.  Did I misunderstand?  Did I mislead myself?  

I did not fear death, in going to Nineveh. It was not your judgement I feared, rather your forgiveness.  "For I know that You are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in kindness, renouncing punishment." [Jonah 4.2]   “O LORD! Isn’t this just what I said when I was still in my own country?" [Jonah 4.2] That is why I fled beforehand to Tarshish. 

Judgement was not delived upon Nineveh.  I delivered the Assyrians for Your Forgiveness.  What have I done?  I have brought more death and destruction on my people.

I am deeply grieved. "Please, LORD, take my life, for I would rather die than live.”  [Jonah 4.2]  I wish to return to the death from whence I came. Back to the sea.  In serving you, I have betrayed my people.  I had the courage to face my enemies, but I do not have the courage to face my people, knowing it is on my account Your Temple is safe not.  

Link to Part IV